A Vintage Olive Top

So last week I shared with you my first version of the new pattern from Lolita Patterns, the Olive Top.

images

Now I am a big fan of this pattern and was thrilled to be asked to be part of the pattern testing team.

My only issue with this first version was that it felt rather 80′s retro, and although I was really pleased with the outcome, and I know I will get a lot of wear out if it, I was keen to see if I could tweak the pattern ever so slightly and alter my fabric choices to create a garment with more of a vintage vibe to it.

Here is what I made:

2014-04-09 10.37.51

At first glance the most obvious change made are the sleeves. I still used the same pattern, I just shortened them… a LOT! I also gathered them rather than pleat, as is called for in the pattern. This reduced some of the retro puffiness.

2014-04-09 10.36.07

The other main difference between this and my first version is my choice of fabric. Although the original pattern doesn’t necessarily call for stretch fabrics, I chose to try a stretch jersey with an adorable flower print.

To account for the stretch I eliminated the side zipper, as it can just slip on over my head, and I cut the pattern approximately 3 sizes smaller. Now I will admit, I used a bit of guess work here, but I only needed to make a few alterations so I must have hit lucky!

I transferred these changes over to the paper pattern pieces so I have them saved – I can see more stretch versions of the Olive in the horizon!

 2014-04-09 10.36.09

Keep an eye out on the Lolita blog later this week where I will be guest posting yet another version of this wonderful pattern!

Also, don’t forget to pop on over to the Lolita blog to see more versions of the Olive top, and perhaps purchase it for yourself – did I mention there is a special sale going on as art of indie sewing month, so you can get the Olive pattern, and all of the other fantastic Lolita patterns for a bargain!

10 comments

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge